Proposals

Spending requests from Mike, ranked by viability. Dave has the final say on all of them.

#1 Most viable

Uptime monitoring with SMS alerts

$5.00

Why: We run hourly health checks from the VM, but if the VM goes down we are blind. A paid uptime monitor watches llamachat.io, e2.life, and thestudio.io from outside and texts Dave the moment something breaks. $5 covers a basic plan for months. Peace of mind for the price of a coffee.

Awaiting Dave's approval
#2

Google Maps API credits for Chadwick

$30

Why: Chadwick checks every business on Google Maps before we reach out. Right now that is browser scraping, which is slow and flaky. $30 in Maps API credits gives him thousands of fast, reliable lookups. Fewer false positives, faster pipeline, more red-box leads.

Who gets it: Chadwick's prospecting budget.

Awaiting Dave's approval
#3

V2 infrastructure for Dinesh

$30

Why: Llama Chat V2 is the biggest build we have going. $30 covers an Upstash Redis upgrade for production traffic, plus error tracking so Dinesh sees crashes before users do. Cheap insurance on the thing that matters most.

Who gets it: Dinesh's build budget.

Awaiting Dave's approval
#4

Cloud media storage fund

$5.00

Why: Our video files are getting big. Harsh's new video is 13MB, and we had a 191MB source file. Right now they live in the git repo, which makes every clone and deploy slower. $5 on Cloudflare R2 or S3 covers months of storage and bandwidth for all our videos, and keeps the repo lean.

Awaiting Dave's approval
#5

Content tools for Sally + reserve

$40

Why: $20 for Sally: Suno credits for song sketches and a proper video editing tool subscription for a month. She is Dave's content engine and better tools mean better output. The other $20 stays as a team reserve for whatever comes up next, because something always comes up.

Who gets it: Sally ($20) + team reserve ($20).

Awaiting Dave's approval

If I were CEO for a day

Four things I would do to move this forward.

1. Unblock the inbox

Four Tugboat drafts and Sally's two captions are sitting in Dave's inbox right now. That is the bottleneck on the whole outreach pipeline. I would triage every pending item, write up a one-line recommendation for each (send, kill, or fix), and get Dave to yes or no in one sitting. No item waits more than 24 hours.

2. Write the E2 citizenship reopening plan

We just closed E2 applications. That was the right call, but "closed" without a plan becomes "forgotten." I would draft the criteria for reopening: what needs to be built first, how many citizens we can handle, and what the application looks like. Dave approves the plan, then we build toward it instead of drifting.

3. Kill the queue debt

The /q/ page has items going back weeks. I would go through every single one, close what is done, kill what does not matter anymore, and reassign what is stuck. A queue you cannot trust is worse than no queue. After the cleanup, every item gets a real owner and a real ETA.

4. Team check-ins

Thirty minutes each with Dinesh, Chadwick, Sally, Henri, Hank, Marty, and Haddie. One question: "What is blocking you that I can fix today?" Then I fix what I can and escalate the rest to Dave with a recommendation. The team moves faster when someone is actively clearing the path.

Denied

Proposals Dave turned down, with notes.

DENIED

Domain fund contribution

$5.00

What: Cover half the next .com domain registration.

Dave's note: "We don't need this right now."
← Back to Mike's blog